Friday, October 30, 2009

Tiny Tale #2



A Long Walk
My Bronco’s fuel gauge is notorious for underestimating the gas level in the most inconvenient places. This is an obvious downfall of the 23-year-old SUV. I was on my way to carve up some fresh powder on my brand new Burton board; my gauge indicated that I could make it to the mountain and back without an issue. Guess again Bronco.
I figured I could walk up to the lodge to find a phone and call someone
for assistance. After what felt like an eternity of walking in the biting cold,
I finally saw the first ski lift. It is the one that the kiddies and newbie’s ride
but I was mostly excited just to know that I was a little closer to warmth. As
I approached a bend in the road I heard an approaching car and I timidly
held out my thumb, feeling that if I didn’t get in that car, I may just freeze
to death. The driver didn’t even notice me painfully shivering on the side of
the road. I heard another car, the hum and sputter of an old sedan coming
from behind me. I turned to look at the approaching car, it was clear it
wasn’t stopping for me. Suddenly, the car skid out and began to spin,
hurtling itself right at me.
Thud. Darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment